Attitude of Gratitude
Having an attitude of gratitude means to live your life from the perspective of being grateful for everything that is. Your state of mind and your attitude are more important to your overall holistic health than many people may think.
Because I believe gratitude to be one of the strongest forces that help to keep our minds in a healthy place, I have called this page 'Attitude of Gratitude'.
I will explore here many tips and techniques that we can use to keep our minds in that healthy place and also the many benefits of maintaining an attitude of gratitude.
You are What You Think
It is your beliefs, thoughts and intentions that form the basis for the words you speak, decisions you make and actions you take.
Basically, the patterns of thought that have developed in your brain affect every single thing you do in your life. Because of this, it makes sense to keep your mind in the most positive and beneficial place possible.
It is when we are in a good state of mind that we communicate well, are our most creative and make good decisions. Our state of mind and our attitude determine how we view the world.
Living through any situation with an attitude of gratitude can help to alleviate suffering and provide a perspective on things that is more objective and rational. It is those times when we forget gratitude that we can spin out of control with depression, regret, guilt, sorrow, anger, fear, etc.
Keeps Our Bodies Strong
Maintaining an attitude of gratitude will also help our physical body to function at a higher level and, when needed, help us to recover and heal more quickly.
It is a well known fact that a person under constant stress (physical or mental) cannot be their healthiest self. Similarly a person who lives in a state of depression, anger, regret, guilt or fear is being held back from being the healthiest version of themselves.
When you continually make gratitude part of your life it is much harder for those other feelings to get control over you. Yes, you will still get sad, depressed and angry at times but those feelings will serve their natural purpose and then leave.
Keeps Unhealthy Behaviours Away
When gratitude is neglected the way is made easier for unhealthy behaviours to arise. Things such as gossiping, being dishonest, reading tabloid magazines, watching brainless television etc. become uninteresting to a person who lives in a state of gratitude.
A person that exists with an attitude of gratitude, a person who is thankful all the time for everything in their day, knows at a deep level that every moment is to be cherished. Because they know that every moment is a gift and that every moment is precious they are much less likely to engage in behaviours that are wasteful or that do not enrich their life or the lives of those around them.
A Universal Law
What you put forth into the world will come back to you. I consider this to be a Universal Law.
Keep in mind that the energy that you put forth into the world is the energy that you are truly summoning up within you, and not always what is shown at the surface. For example, if a person walks around a room greeting people with smiles but deep down they hate being there, it is not the energy of the smiles that the Universe picks up on but rather the energy of hate underneath.
And it is the true nature of the person's attitude that will be returned to them. All the more important to make the effort to be healthy and balanced at your core and to let this shine through effortlessly rather than trying to fake it on the surface.
When you live from a place of hatred and anger you not only hurt the people you come into contact with but you hurt yourself... repeatedly and on so many levels.
Necessary for Our Growth
We are all connected, and maintaining a bad attitude holds us all back as a species.
It is time for all of us to start feeling the bliss of knowing that everyone and everything is connected. It is time for everyone to work together towards our individual positive potentials as well as the positive potential of us as a species and an alive and vibrant planet.
We are born as naturally happy and connected beings. It is only as we grow that many of us lose sight of our own innate happiness and true connectedness to all things.
An attitude of gratitude does naturally reside somewhere within us all and with a little effort anyone can re-train themselves to live in this beautiful mind space for most, if not all, of their moments.
How to Live Every Day with an Attitude of Gratitude
Below are some great ideas to use every day. As this site grows, I will explore each of the following in more detail. Check back or subscribe to this site to know when new information has been added
- Say thanks every day for the big things in your life and, more importantly, all the seemingly little things. This will help to keep your mind in a positive place and help to keep you away from focusing on the negatives or the things out of your control. Work within your circle of influence and don't become over burdened with the things out of your control.
- Intention is one of the most powerful tools we have. Make your intentions very clear and renew them often. They provide the road map through our life. Take time every day to really acknowledge what your true intentions are.
- Prayer is also one of the most powerful tools in our life. It is a quiet time where you commune at your deepest soul level with your higher self and powers beyond yourself. Around our world people pray in different ways, find what feels right for you. If you don't like the word 'prayer' give it a word that makes sense for you. Prayer provides us with strength, hope and faith and it is a way to renew your intentions. Make prayer a part of every one of your days.
- Meditation is an amazing tool of renewal. It is a quiet time during your waking hours. Click here to read more about the many benefits of meditation and guidance on how to meditate.
- EFT or Emotional Freedom Technique is a wonderfully simple tool that can be used at any time to help you get back to a good state of mind. It makes use of tapping on acupressure points while in an emotional state and using constructive self talk.
- Hooponopono (ho-o-po-no-po-no) is a Hawaiian word meaning 'to put right'. I learned this simple technique several years ago and have found it to be a wonderful mantra to calm my mind and to bring love and healing into any situation.
- The 4 Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz is something that I refer to constantly in my life. These 4 agreements are beautifully written and adhering to them can only help that attitude of gratitude to flourish within you.
- Social media detox is the idea of doing a fast from social media. TV, Internet, newspapers, radio, magazines, etc. can fill our brains with unhealthy information that can then affect our thought patterns, decision making processes and attitudes. Just as you would do diet cleanses throughout the year why not also incorporate social media detoxes throughout the year?
- Be mindful of vocabulary that you choose to use - both spoken and unspoken (in your thoughts). Language is extremely powerful. Consciously choose your words and phrases carefully. Replace harsh, mean, prejudiced or cutting words and phrases with kinder vocabulary. The English language is amazing in that there are a million ways to say the same thing. Get your meaning across without doing any harm.
- Use the words of others. People have been expressing sentiments since the beginning of time. Quote others who have said beautiful things in very inspiring ways. Integrate their words into your own life.
I use positive quotes all the time in my life. They emphasize wonderful thoughts that help me to stay focused on having an attitude of gratitude. I have quotes written in all my journals, up on the walls in our home and all over this website.
As this site grows I will share my entire collection of quotes with you. Here is one that I love, a beautiful reminder; (Read this twice. If you forget the words, remember the essence)
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we subconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we're liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others." -Marianne Williamson
Do your very best to maintain an attitude of gratitude, make an effort to be that happy and balanced person that you were meant to be. You deserve to be that person and everyone around you deserves to be in the company of that person!
||If you've found this website helpful to you, please consider offering a donation.
Leave 'Attitude of Gratitude', go to 'Making-Healthy-Choices' homepage